Slip and fall accidents can do more damage than some people might think. Some accidents end up giving you only minor bruises and bumps, while others may land you in the emergency room. Slip and fall accidents can invite enormous medical bills you may have to pay out-of-pocket if you do not file with an insurance company.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you should not hesitate to hire a Jersey City slip and fall attorney to help with your case. You should exercise your right to pursue compensation for your injuries and get the money you deserve. After all, you should not have to pay for damages you did not cause. Meanwhile, you should know what steps to take right after a slip and fall ankle injury.
Types of ankle injuries you can get in a slip and fall accident
Ankle injuries are not always severe, but sometimes they can take time to heal. Depending on the severity of the injury, you may even need surgery. You may also require a cast or an ankle brace and not be able to put too much pressure on your leg while it heals. This means you will have to take some time off work and not be able to enjoy your favorite activities.
Some ankle injuries you can get from a slip-and-fall accident include the following:
- Sprain or strain
- Torn ligament or tendon
- Bone Fracture
Steps to take if you were injured in a slip and fall accident
- The first thing you should do is report the accident to your employer and the police. The police report is important to your claim.
- Take as many photos and videos as you can to preserve digital evidence.
- Talk to witnesses and take their contact information.
- Keep all your documentation safe, including the accident report, your medical records, records of lost income or wages, etc.
- Refrain from talking to the parties involved in the accident without consulting an attorney first. Avoid using social media and posting about your legal case.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan and take your medications as stated.
What are the possible damages in a slip and fall accident?
Medical expenses are the most commonly known damages in a slip and fall accident. However, there are various others too.
- Medical costs
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Future costs of medical care
- Lost earnings
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages